Cushman Library is seeking two or three friendly, vibrant, organized, energetic, hard-working Alternate Library Assistants who are proficient in Evergreen Circulation and who enjoy working with patrons, love reading and all things library, and have knowledge of item placement, genres of materials, formats and services available, patron privacy, computer literacy, and more. The hours will be sparse on an as-needed basis, but these positions are vital when the need arises. These gigs are perfect for someone who is already working in a C/WMARS library and just wants a little something extra when possible. Being Evergreen-ready is extremely helpful, as using the program regularly keeps one on point.
Responsibilities Include, but not limited to:
- checking materials in and out using Evergreen Circulation
- shelving materials, reading shelves, and shifting shelves
- placing/retrieving/processing Network Transfers, ComCat requests, and Mediated ILLs
- registering new patrons using Evergreen Circulation
- withdrawing items using Evergreen Circulation
- support in the selection of materials to be borrowed, when requested by patrons
- suggest materials for patrons’ consideration, when requested by patrons
- communication regarding materials requests et al in person and via phone
- help patrons with their use of the online library catalogs, Internet, databases, etc.
- communication regarding circulation, overdues, and other issues in person and via phone
Foster a warm and welcoming environment!!
Be respectful and understanding of our patrons’ right to privacy.
answer reference, service, and building-related questions
assist patrons with all technology available for their use at Cushman, and trouble shoot public and staff ports and equipment, including CPUs, Chrome Bit, photocopier, printer, scanner, etc.
Applicants for Alternate L.A. must be available at least one of the following shifts:
- Monday 2-6
- Wednesday 10-7:30
- Saturday 10-3:30
Please designate which shifts you would be available for in your cover letter. Thank You.
Compensation: $15.62 per hour (FY23)
Applicants should send a cover letter (not just an e-mail), resume, and the contact information for three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org w/ subject “Alternate L.A.” These positions will remain available until appropriate candidates are found.